Tuesday, July 5, 2011

fourth of july

This was one of those times where I was curious to see if any 250-year-old tensions could possibly resurface.

Yesterday was the 4th of July, and for some reason, (likely the irony of celebrating Independence Day in dependence of the nation the U.S.A. split from), I felt like being especially patriotic (read: obnoxious) in celebration.

Not to say that I succeeded in being as celebratory as I had in mind, but I did don red, white, and blue in my outfit (same colors as the Union Jack -> the founding fathers did not expend much creativity in the aesthetic details of the new nation.)  We didn't (weren't able to) light off fireworks or organize ourselfs enough for a rousing Independence carol or otherwise do anything that the British locals could really react to.

However, I saw a flyer on the ground advertising 4th of July festivities at the Purple Turtle.  The flyer was really astute about the 4th as well -> the stars-and-stripes-flying-eagle artwork was the sort of thing you'd see on a motorcyclist's forearm.
But honestly, this was the Purple Turtle (which we have already discovered is the weirdo of the pub locations in Oxford.)  I am unsure as to whether or not this speaks for the rest of British culture.

My curiosity goes unquenched.  As soon as it struck the 5th of July, however, my odd rush of patriotism disappeared so I am not that concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment