Saturday, July 2, 2011

content

The title refers to content as in peacefully happy, not content as in matter contained.

Anyway, I am in Wales!  This weekend excursion happened seemingly at a whim.  I honestly knew nothing about Wales prior to departure, other than vague facts, such as:
- They speak Welsh
- They are the model for Tolkien's (and therefore everyone else's) elves
- In The BFG (by Roald Dahl), Wales sent the BFG Wellington Boots as thanks. (Edit: I think I've bungled this recollection.  Wellington is in New Zealand, no?  Perhaps Wales sent the BFG barrels of fish.)

Upon arrival, I was a bit apprehensive.  Cardiff seemed a bit rougher compared to what else I had seen of the United Kingdom.  Things seemed more modern and industrial.  The skyline is really low here, actually, so when the train pulled in, I did not immediately realize we had arrived.

We dropped our bags at the hostel, got directions from the receptionist, and stepped out onto a cracked, thin neighborhood street, feeling miles away from the scenic feel of Oxford.

That was not really very true.  We were a 5 minute walk away from the main shopping plaza of the city center.  The main street was pedestrians-only and gorgeous.  I understand now why Cornmarket Street in Oxford gets such a bad reputation for being uptight and hurried.  I found myself unconsciously meandering (instead of simply walking) down the streets in Wales.

Cardiff did not really begin to feel friendly until today.  After an inconvenient lodging change (due to us booking accomodations rather late), we found our way to Cardiff Castle.


The entire experience of exploring Cardiff Castle and the Victorian House within was rather surreal, as you might have guessed.  And this is all within the heart of the city.
We were a bit hesitant at first to pay 10 pounds for a tour of the "Victorian House," but I am immensely glad we did.  You see, the Castle grounds were owned by a man named John Crichton-Stuart, a marquess who was fabulously, ridiculously, magnificently wealthy.  This is what his home looked like.

This is right next to the little fort in the picture above.  We toured the inside of the building, which was fantastic, to say the least.  Every inch of every room was decorated to an astounding degree of detail.



We left feeling completely dazzled.

And then we went to the seaside.
It had a completely different feel...more modern, and there were lots and lots of locals.  (For some reason, a lot of the tavern inhabitants were dressed in costume.  We watched some young men in drag tie four of their friends to a flagpole.)  But the fresh air and the sea and the sun and the good Italian food we had all just sort of came together to make me feel calm and content.

I've not been here for two whole days and yet I love Cardiff.  I will be sad to leave tomorrow, but mostly I'm just glad that I made it here, seeing as how it was a weird, impulsive decision that brought me here.  But that's life, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment