Thursday, August 4, 2011

welcome home

I wouldn't call this "reverse culture shock," but there are just some things that I need to get used to again.

The fact that I am not living out of a suitcase anymore is one.  I keep forgetting about the clothes in my closet that I didn't take with me to England (so nowadays naturally assume that I do not have access to.)  I certainly do not take my soft mattress for granted anymore.  And I love having WiFi wherever I go in my apartment.

Overall, I am experiencing that mixture of relief and sadness that follows any homecoming from travel.  Seattle feels so comfortable now -> it's so easy to be here, except for the few things that I have to recall after a month's disuse.

But yesterday, it was a week from the garden party, and I started to miss things.  I spent 2 hours making cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches and bacon and chicken salad sandwiches (like the ones I used to buy from Tesco) for an impromptu garden party with my friends.

I've already noticed a change in me, as well.  For instance, today, my fashion looks distinctively British: I think it is the red pants I bought on Oxford Street.  Superficially, my keyring is full of keychains from Europe, and my lanyard has the Oxford crest on it.  In terms of character, it is more difficult for me to say how I have changed, but I am very aware of the memories that have been swirling in my head every day I have been back so far.

Some day, I'll be back; there's no doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment