Tuesday, April 26, 2011

stages of culture shock

I just finished my IPE (International Programs and Exchanges) Orientation last night.

In the booklets they passed out, there is a chapter devoted to the stages of cultural adjustment.  Briefly, they are:
1. the honeymoon period
2. irritability/hostility
3. discovery of perspective
4. feeling at home

When I traveled to Denmark and Korea, I really did experience these stages (though I did not map them out so concretely in my head).  Unfortunately, I only spent 10 days in Denmark and 2 weeks in Korea, so I never quite reached the fourth stage in either place.

I know what it will be like to reach the fourth stage, however.  I made it through all four when I came to UW, (for I came from a radically different upbringing, so UW truly was a foreign culture.)  It is easy to remember how fascinated I was by the city at first, and then how I plunged into semi-depression (though not homesickness!) at the initial loneliness.

Speaking of loneliness, I am concerned about stage 2 in that aspect.  Making friends is really important to the transition from stage 2 to 3.  While I anticipate making friends among the UW students that are going, I also really hope to meet some Brits.  I know we will not be living right alongside them, necessarily, so I predict that will be something of a challenge.  I didn't do so well with this part in Denmark or Korea, but in retrospect, it took me two weeks to even out at UW, so it could be that I simply did not have enough time abroad to adjust.

Is it politically correct to call them "Brits?"  I know "Japs" definitely isn't an okay abbreviation.  But "Danes" for Danish citizens seems to be acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment